Friday, March 5, 2010

Too Much of a Good Thing? The Starbucks Trenta

The Internet is currently buzzing about the new Starbucks Trenta, currently being test marketed in a number of cities, including Phoenix and Tampa. How could you not be buzzing from this 31 ounce coffee monster? According to what I have read, this new introduction is in response to other chains selling similar giant iced tea and coffee drinks. If the customer is looking for this then they should move to meet the need. But, how much is too much?

OK, I’ll say it. I’m not a big fan of Starbucks coffee. I drink my coffee black so I find it to be too dark and a little strong. With milk and sugar it’s good, but I’m more of a coffee purist. My personal favorite places for coffee are Dunkin Donuts and Wawa – that’s just me. However, I do respect Starbucks as a company for their business growth and the influence the have on society. The fact that they have killer brownies doesn’t hurt them either in my book.

I do take issue with a 31 ounce coffee. In a typical day I will drink three standard cups of coffee – two in the morning and one in the afternoon. For that reason, I think 31 ounces in one sitting is a little bit much. Think about all the caffeine and what 31 ounces of any liquid is going to do to your bladder. Not to mention, wouldn’t it get cold before you get to the bottom?

I’m going to keep an eye on the Trenta’s introduction because it’s very interesting to me. We’ll see if it gets put on the menu boards nationwide. From what I have seen and discussions I have had with my colleagues, I’m guessing the Trenta is going to be another Starbucks success.

No comments:

Post a Comment