Monday, March 22, 2010

Obesity & Reality: Let’s be Serious Already

Last week, I saw an article in the Metro regarding a ban on bake sales at local schools in the name of curbing childhood obesity. I laughed at first, then thought about it again and took a look at the article. I know there is an obesity epidemic in this country and that children are getting alarmingly large. I am also aware of the long-term health issues associated with being overweight, including diabetes, heart disease and a host of other complications. With that said, I personally think we need to order a super-size, extra value meal of reality.

The banning of bake sales is just one of many ways to address the obesity epidemic, like adding a tax on sugary beverages or keeping children from bringing in cupcakes for their class on their birthday. While I understand their motivation, I feel that all three ideas are off the mark. To me, these are regulating things that are part of childhood and make being a kid fun. My idea: let’s mandate, regulate, institute (whatever word you wish to use) a little common sense. Stop trying to pull kids away from food and start teaching them to make better choices. While you’re there, encourage them to go play outside and get some exercise.

People want to blame the food because it’s easy to do so (cupcakes don’t fight back). What people don’t want to do is look at themselves and make changes. Buy your child a basketball, not a basketball video game. Take your kids bowling, don’t buy them a video system that simulates bowling while they sit on the couch. Get out and exercise with your kids to show them how fun and important it is – you need the exercise too. Most important, take them into the kitchen and teach them how to cook healthy and to make smarter choices about their diet.

Life is not all cupcakes, but life without cupcakes is no life for me.


Check out the link to Metro’s article, “Something Smells Funny at Bake Sale” http://www.metro.us/us/article/2010/03/19/05/1638-82/index.xml?print=1

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I remember when I used to go outside and play all day long. I rode my bike all over the neighborhood, hiked in the woods, and jumped in the lake. My parents weren't worried that I'd get lyme disease, get kidnapped, or get hit by a car. We stayed in the neighborhood, but we were allowed to run and play and be kids. Oh, and I ate plenty of candy and cupcakes, but I was skinny.

    I think there are additives in the food that are making people retain weight. Combine that with our sedentary lifestyle and you have fat kids. McDonald's was a treat for me, but now it's an after school snack before dinner for children.

    ReplyDelete