Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tacos…Minus 150 calories and 7 grams of fat


I have always loved taco night! All fresh ingredients that are cooked, chopped, or shredded just before eating. Given all the fresh ingredients – lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. – you would think homemade tacos would be healthy. Not so fast! According to the Old El Paso web site, a serving of hard taco shells (3 shells) contains 150 calories and 7 grams of fat!

I noticed, however, if you eliminate the shells, you can still have a great meal while keeping it healthy. Instead of shredding the Romaine lettuce, use it as the shell by adding the ingredients into the lettuce leaf. I'm not the first to come up with this idea, but I like it so much that I wanted to share it. Think about it, the leaf is already shaped like a shell – it just works!

Give it a shot. Personally, I would rather save those calories for a good Mexican beer to accompany my tacos. Enjoy!

Nutritional information found here: http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product_image.aspx?catID=23365&itemID=3588

No comments:

Post a Comment