Wednesday, July 29, 2009

“I don’t cook.”

Years ago, I remember my parents invited another couple to the house one evening for dinner. As we were all finishing the wonderful meal cooked by my mother, the woman said, “I don’t cook.” I thought that to be the strangest thing to say and a shame, in fact, that she didn’t cook.

When I was growing up, it seemed that everything happened in the kitchen. We ate dinner together every night as a family and shared all the stories of our respective days. Whether it was making the team, getting a role in the school play or the occasional bad report card, we always shared those stories over dinner in the kitchen. I was fortunate enough to have a mother who was a great cook and made every meal special.

As I got older, I continued to cook for my friends encouraging them to grab a bottle of wine on their way over and enjoy whatever was on my menu that evening. When I started dating the woman I would eventually marry, I would cook for her in an effort to impress her. Now, we cook together as often as we can and that time in the kitchen is always special for both of us.

I have great memories of my experience in the kitchen and only look forward to more in the future. As I noted in yesterday’s blog, I believe that anyone can cook. My goal through this blog is encourage everyone to take those few steps back into the kitchen and give it a shot. Tie on an apron, fire up the stove, grab a pan. Who knows, you might be surprised how much you enjoy it and make a few memories of your own. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% I know people who claim they don't cook, but they love to eat. I found that the more I cooked, the better I ate. I know exactly what is in the food that I serve and I don't feel guilty eating it. It's worth it to take a few hours a week to make a couple of decent meals.

    ReplyDelete