Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Inspiration: Seared Ahi Tuna Salad


OK, I admit it – I’m a foodie and a nerd in addition to having too much time on my hands. I read a bunch of cooking magazines and watch the Food Network for ideas and inspiration. The interested thing, I found this idea from a magazine I don’t often read: The Nest (Summer 2009). In addition to providing me with the idea, the article on cooking and eating at home to save money made me think. On this recipe, the author says you can save over 50% by making it at home versus going out to eat. We could all use a little help these days – glad to see sharp reporters and editors doing their part to help. Great work The Nest – I recommend you picking up the magazine for yourself.

As with any dish, once inspired I have to do it my own way. I decided to do a seared tuna with a fresh garden salad. As you can see from the picture - great color and very healthy. Here is the salad: lettuce, onion slices, tomatoes slices (seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, grated Romano cheese and balsamic vinegar before plating), broccoli crowns, almonds, hard-boiled egg, mozzarella cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.


As for the tuna steaks, I seared them on a grill pan (indoors) on medium-high heat – 1 minute on each side. You could use a regular frying pan, but the grill pan gives you the classic grilling lines. Be sure to watch the tuna as you are cooking it – you will see the steak begin to turn white, but you only want to cook to outside keeping the inside rare and very pink.

Plate the salad first so it remains cool. Then, once it is finished, add the tuna steak just before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment