Friday, February 19, 2010

Don’t Fear the Hippo


A few weekends back the girl and I hit the road in search of the illusive river horse. Our safari led us to the jungles of beautiful Lambertville, New Jersey on the Delaware River – the home of River Horse brewery. A week before this adventure, we were at happy hour and my traditional brew was served in a River Horse pint glass with their logo and location. I was taken aback when I saw the glass as I grew up not far from their location and had no idea there was a great brewery so close to home. For that reason, we went to check it out.

We arrived at the parking lot and were greeted by the traditional beer brewing smell. If you are not familiar, it is a strange cross between the smell of old beer and sweat socks. Upon entering the brew house the story was much different seeing the warm smiles of visitors and a bartender who was happy to supply some of their well-known beer. In my conversation with him, I learned that the brewery opened the year after I had moved away – just my luck. I also learned a little more about their different beers, their brewing processes and the fact that there is more to beer and brewing than I will never know. I fell in love with their Milk Oatmeal Stout and the Hop Hazard Pale Ale while the girl enjoyed their Lager.

As a result of the trip, I am now a big fan of the hippo and will keep an eye out for it the next time I am at happy hour. Check out their web site for yourself: http://www.riverhorse.com/index.html and, when you get the chance, you gotta try their beer. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment