Friday, December 11, 2009

Just Ask

I was taking with a friend recently and, as usual, the topic of
food came around. He was telling me about having dinner with another
couple and the great meal they had made for him and his girlfriend.
My immediate question was, "Did you ask them for the recipe?" He
looked at me funny for a moment, then just shrugged his shoulders.

I have to tell you, I have been asked for recipes from friends many
times and I'm always happy to share. To me, that's one of the most
sincere compliments someone can give a chef. To enjoy a meal or a
dish so much that they want to make it again for themselves and others
-- you can't beat that. Most people are happy to share the recipe
and even tell you how they came to have it themselves. I have gotten recipes from books, from web sites, even from restaurants, but the ones I get directly from those who cook them are usually the best. In addition to the recipe itself, people are quick to share tips you wouldn't get in print. "Don't cook it too long or
it will dry out." "It calls for a stick of butter, but I think that's
too much." "It's better to make it a little early and let it sit before you serve." Each one of these hints help you prepare the dish perfectly, over and above the directions from the recipe.

All you have to do is ask. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment