Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Jambalaya & Love


Years ago, I received an email from a friend that just said, “Are you coming with me?” I thought it was strange until I paged down and saw a travel itinerary for New Orleans. At the time, I had never been to the city that people lovingly refer to as NOLA, but I knew that I did not want to pass on the opportunity so I booked my trip just a few moments after receiving that email. That trip changed my live, and for that reason, I will always be grateful to the friend who invited me and the other friends I made during the trip.

Since then, I have been back to that great city no less that 10 times for both business and pleasure – never missing an opportunity to visit that great city. NOLA, like no other city in the country, is a place where you are encouraged to eat and drink yourself from one side to the other. From the chicory coffee and beignets at cafe du monde to the hurricanes at Patty O’s; the Garden District to the French Quarter; Mother’s to Emeril’s NOLA restaurant. Each trip I try to get to a different place and I am always delighted.

Last night I went with a dish that reminds me of that great city warming me both in my stomach and in my soul – Jambalaya. Because it was a weeknight, I went with what some would call the easy way, using a Zatarain’s box as the base. I know what you are thinking: “If you love the city, boxed jambalaya doesn’t do it justice.” And, you are right. If you are pressed for time however, this is a great place to start. With that said, you can do things to bring the box to life. I follow the directions as indicated on the package, but instead of adding one pound of sausage, shrimp or chicken, I like to add a half pound of each. Combining these flavors really brings the dish to life. Also, I like to add diced onion, tomatoes and a few garlic cloves to make the flavor a little deeper. Also, don’t forget the hot sauce.

God bless the town of New Orleans and the people who make it great. Also, tell them I will be back soon.

Enjoy.

Side Note: This is one of the best articles I have read about the city and how their beloved Saints are more than just a team, they are a reflection on their culture.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread14/Saints
By Wright Thompson of ESPN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment