Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yes, I Use Jar Red Sauce

While some people may think it is a sin, yes, I use red sauce from a jar. The reason I do it is because I love to cook Italian, but most times I don’t have the time to make my own sauce. It’s not a bad thing.

My trick is to use the jar sauce as a base and customize it for what I am working on. Usually, I will sauté chopped onions, bell pepper and fresh garlic in a little olive oil for a few minutes (until the onions are browned), then lower the temperature and add the jar sauce. This adds a fresher flavor to it and makes it not taste like the same sauce everyone else eats. You can also add peppers, fresh basil, mushrooms -- whatever you are in the mood for.

For all those cooking on a schedule as well as a budget (like me) this just helps get your recipe to where it needs to be and gets your meal to the table. To any other cooks I may have offended, I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment