Thursday, April 9, 2009

Best of the Sunshine State




After a great time in Florida, I’m back home in New Jersey – tanned, rested and ready for the future. I have to tell you, being down in the Sunshine State made me long for the warmer weather and all that comes with it. During the trip we enjoyed farm fresh tomatoes, oranges, pineapples and more! I love the Garden State, but it will be months until I can enjoy fresh food like that – well, except the pineapples and all. Its only April…and the beginning of April at that!

While I enjoyed all the food throughout the trip, there is one dish that stands far above all the rest. A delicacy unlike any other…STONE CRABS!!! Only available for a limited time each year, these little monsters are the best thing in or out of the water this time of the year. With a little lemon and butter, crack the claws and it’s on! It’s very interesting to me that when stone crabs are caught, fishermen take one of their claws and then return the crab to the water. The other claw is left so the crab can still find food and defend itself in the water while the removed claw will regenerate over time. Some may see this is strange, but the stone crab is returned to the water and not cooked whole like other types of crabs.

Paired with potato wedges, cole slaw and a dry white wine (see photo), this was a meal to remember. Now that I am back in New Jersey, the memory of those Stone Crabs will have to last me until the summer…and Blue Claw Season!


No comments:

Post a Comment