Monday, April 20, 2009

Remembering the Weekend


This weekend was beautiful with unseasonable temperatures in the 70s! Given the nice weather, I spent more time outdoors than I did in the kitchen. That however, does not mean that the weekend was without any culinary experiences. After a great round of golf, a few friends and I took a drive to Warwick, New York to check out the Warwick Valley Winery. If you have never been, this is a beautiful part of the Northeast known for their black topsoil and the great fruits and vegetables grown there. Throughout the drive there were plenty of orchards, fields and vegetable stands. I can only imagine the area in mid-season.

Once at the winery we had the opportunity to sample their wines. Our guide walked us through the finer points of their wines explaining the history of the wine within the winery, the process of making each type and the specific tastes each is known for. It was a pleasure to learn from an expert and feel as if you were part of the vineyard. For the record, my favorites were the Riesling – not as sweet as the typical, this wine had a very clean taste that I felt was more of a sweet Chardonnay than the sweet syrup-like wine – and the Pino Noir – a lighter, more flavorful red that would pair many dishes given its great flavor, but would not over power like other Pinos.

If you are looking for a great day trip, I would recommend checking out the winery for yourself – more information on their web site at http://www.wvwinery.com/.


Unfortunately, the great weather had to come to an end with rain today. Not sure what I’m going to do for dinner tonight…I will let you know when I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment