Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More American Then Apple Pie?

I’m just back from an extended Independence Day holiday and had a wonderful time. This is a great holiday for me because in my family we all got together at the beach each year and celebrated with friends, great food and fireworks. This year was no different!

While relaxing one afternoon, we heard that familiar song of the ice cream man as his truck drove down the street. With one quick glance, I knew that everyone was thinking the same thing I was and we bolted for the door together. Like children, we lined up and each picked our favorite frozen treat. As usual, I went with the classic Rocket Pop. While it is good all summer, on July 4th Weekend, the red, white, and blue icy treat is even better. As I was enjoying the sweet coolness, it hit me – the Rocket Pop could be more American than Apple Pie! I know that it doesn’t have the history of that American classic or the iconic status, but I feel it should have a place as alongside the apple pie as America’s dessert. While there will never be anything more American that “mom and apple pie” as the expression goes, I believe that Independence Day belongs to the Rocket Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment