Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where Have You Been? On Vacation!

I know it has been a while, but I have been on vacation. I now return, tanned, rested, and ready. Before I get back to cooking however, I have to tell you about my trip. I was on a seven-day Caribbean cruise that left from Miami with stops in Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan – a once-in-a-lifetime trip. In addition to taking in all the sights and sounds of the ports, I also enjoyed all the amenities the ship had to offer…including the food!

If you have never taken a cruise, I seriously recommend it. The service is great, the food is wonderful and the portions are huge (not having to cook or do dishes for the entire trip isn’t half bad either). I will warn you, it is easy to be overwhelmed. With that, I give you my five tips for cruise dining:

FIVE TIPS FOR CRUISE DINING
1: Pace Yourself
The cruise is a long trip and you have all that time to enjoy it. Don’t try to take it all in on the first day – you can’t do it. Explore and plan out where and what you are going to eat so you can try it all, while still fitting into your swimsuit.

2: Be Patient
They call it a cruise LINE for a reason – there is a line for everything. Think about it. It’s just you, your traveling companions and about three thousand other people on that floating city. Be patient because it’s easy to lose your cool when standing in the buffet line (or the carving line, or the dessert line, etc.) Once exception: There are usually not too many people waiting to hit the salad bar – it is a cruise after all.

3: Try It
You are going to have the opportunity to try foods that you normally do not get to experience. Keep an open mind and try as much as you can. You are not going to like everything, but you will never know if you don’t try. For example, one evening there was an escargot appetizer on the menu. I have already had and know that I enjoy escargot, so I recommended it to others at my table. I got a few strange looks and a few “you know that that is, right?” comments, but those who tried them enjoyed them greatly.

4: Mix It Up
There are a number of different food stations as well as different food themes and restaurants onboard cruise ships so experience all of them. You may have a favorite, and that’s fine, but don’t go for your favorite place at the cost of not trying another new area. Who knows, you may find a new favorite.

5: Relax
The simplest and most important rule! Remember, you are on vacation. Take it all in, enjoy it and relax. Have the steak, order another cocktail, and don’t miss the desserts. When your vacation is over, you can go back to the gym. For now, indulge and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love cruises and I'm glad you had a fabulous time. I've been on 3 and they were all great, with the exception of the one time I got seasick... for days (stormy weather). I'd still cruise again.

    ReplyDelete