Thursday, April 8, 2010

Business Travel: Finding the “Lobster-Covered” Silver Lining

A guest blog from the wife of the Downsized Chef:

Business Travel is almost always a doozy. It’s not fun to leave your family, pack your life into a tiny carry-on bag, board a plane, sleep in a bed slept in by thousands of other people, and eat free, dry, crusty eggs for breakfast in the Hotel lobby. Business Travel, while at times a necessity, is the Bain of my existence. My wonderful hubby cooks nearly every night. I love his cooking. My favorite restaurant is our coffee table; the great company, the food is delicious and they never run out of your favorite wine, I love being at home. I really despise traveling.

There is one positive about business travel - trying new restaurants chosen by clients, vendors and local food aficionados. Want to know the best part of business travel? Someone else picks up the deliciously wonderful and all inclusive tab. Ahh – yes, I’ll have another glass of wine – thank you.

I found myself in Columbus, OH this week and my client recommended a new place; a steak house. I am a white meat eater. It’s hard to push me onto pork, let alone a steak. In a room full of 14 people all keen on ordering the Filet, I couldn’t be the one ordering rubber chicken. I spotted what can only be described as heaven on a plate and decided, when in Rome – or at least a steak house…
- Steak Horaz - 7, 10, or 12 oz. filet served with Lobster tail, Béarnaise sauce, asparagus and mushroom caps. (Could it be? Lobster? Creamy, delicious sauce? Mushrooms? Come on! )

I leaned over to my neighbor – “What are you having?”
-“I think I’m going to go with the Petite Filet.”
-“Did you see this,” I pointed my manicured finger to the Horaz, “lobster…on…steak.”
-“I didn’t.” I swear he swallowed and licked his lips. “You sold me.”

We ordered it. In fact, we learned it was the house favorite and at least 4 other people at the table did the same. Along with appetizers, dinner, dessert, bread and at least 6 - 8 bottles of wine…maybe more. We started dinner at 6:30 and left the restaurant at 10:00 and in that time, I became a steak eater.

Here’s the menu we enjoyed along with a link to the restaurant. If you find yourself in Columbus, OH anytime soon – please, by all means stop by. Friendly and professional staff – great food – quick service and an all around good time. And if you have no plans to be there anytime soon – make some.

Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse – www.hydeparkrestaurants.com/

Appetizers
-Jumbo Shrimp
-Lump Stone Crab
-Oysters

Dinner
-Beef Steak Tomatoes, Smoked Mozzarella, and Onion with Vinaigrette
-Steak Koras with lobster, Béarnaise Sauce, Asparagus and Mushroom Caps
-Garlic Whipped Potatoes
-Scalloped Potatoes
-Asparagus
-Creamed Spinach

Desserts
-Cheese Cake
-Key Lime Pie
-Mixed Berry Tort
-Crème Brule

No comments:

Post a Comment