Saturday, August 8, 2009

Silicone – the next BIG thing!

While most infamously known for its use in cosmetic surgery, silicone is now ‘enhancing’ how I cook. Thanks to the great scientific minds, who I might add are much smarter than I am, who engineer these things, there are now a host of cooking tools and bake ware made from this versatile synthetic material.

I use the high-temperature spatulas nearly every day when stir frying or sautéing on the stove top. They make it easier to mix ingredients into an already cooking dish or to stir foods to ensure they cook evenly without the fear that they will melt like standard plastic tools. Looking around my kitchen now I can see at least four of these ingenious silicone tools in different shapes and sizes.

In addition to tools like this, baking dishes made of this material make cakes and muffins even better. Foods do not stick to the material so when a cake is finished baking and cools it can be popped right out of the dish quickly and easily while perfectly maintaining the form. Also look for the silicone cookie sheet mats that make baking cookies a breeze. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment