Saturday, May 1, 2010

Saturday Morning: Cartoons and Cereal

Saturday mornings always remind me of childhood. Waking up first, going downstairs to watch cartoons and enjoy a bowl of the sugary cereal that defined that time in my life. Enjoying some quality time with my close friends Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck until my parents woke up. Now, being older, things are much different. I reach for Raisin Bran or Cheerios – always longing for those colorful boxes with cartoon characters smiling back at you. But I’m an adult – I have to worry about sugar intake and fiber levels. My biggest concern is no longer the free toy inside the box.

This week, my wife and I laughed talking about growing up and the memories of Saturday mornings. Despite growing up three states away from me, she too went through the weekly childhood ritual of cartoons and cereal. Now, the world is much different. Children can’t have real sugary cereal. They can’t even watch real cartoons. The Warner Brothers classics have been replaced by Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Ho because they were too violent. I don’t even know what a Pokemon or a Yu-Gi-Ho even is! Was Bugs Bunny really that bad? Were their children growing up and dropping pianos or anvils on people’s heads because they saw it on Saturday morning? I think I missed that memo.
Let’s take a quick trip back to that time in our lives when every day was more fun…and they each started with that sugary treat. Here are our top five children’s cereals. Enjoy.

My Top Five Children’s Cereals
1: Fruity Pebbles
2: Cocoa Pebbles
3: Sugar Crisp (now Golden Crisp)
4: Sugar Pops (now just Pops)
5: Cap’n Crunch

The Girl’s Top Five
1: Cinnamon Toast Crunch
2: Cap’n Crunch
3: Cocoa Pebbles
4: Trix
5: Raisin Bran Crunch

1 comment:

  1. Trix and Pops are my faves! I like Lucky Charms, too. I admit that I still eat them occasionally, but instead of having them for breakfast, I eat them as a dessert!

    Remember when there was a Nintendo cereal, half Mario Bros. and half Zelda? Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete